Glover Genealogy

Friday, August 3, 2018

The Gingham Dress



Written by myself:
Mary Ellen Glover was born 1 Nov 1824 (All Saints Day) Iona Station, Southwold Township, Elgin County, Upper Canada now Ontario, Canada. Her older brother William Augustus Glover born 1821 Upper Canada and was her only sibling.

Their parents William Hambly Glover (my 5th great uncle) and Mary Ellen??? Garnsey/ Gurnsey??? (SIC) were only together for approximately 3 years.

William Hambly Glover was the son of United Empire Loyalist Jacob Glover (my 5th great grand father) and his wife Deborah Moore (daughter of United Empire Loyalist Captain John Moore).

Some time before the 11th of April, 1826 William Hambly Glover died before being able to lay claim to his application (Upper Canada Land Petition) as the son of Jacob Glover, United Empire Loyalist.

William Hambly Glover's original claim was filed dated 9 February 1821 stating he was the son of Jacob Glover, UE and requested a grant of 200 acres of land. On 21 March 1821 William Hambly Glover of Ancaster was granted but never claimed his O.C. (Order in Council)

Later documents dated December 14, 1842 show that William Augustus Glover orphaned son of William Hambly Glover now reaching age re-applies for the his father's unclaimed UCLP claiming he was his ONLY son of William Hambly Glover, son of Jacob Glover, United Empire Loyalist.

HERE IS THE LINK TO WILLIAM AUGUSTUS GLOVER'S APPLICATION OF RENEWAL TO HIS DECEASED FATHER'S ORIGINAL LAND GRANT REQUEST

Why was it that his sister Mary Ellen Glover born 1 Nov 1824 also did not make claim to her entitlement? I had to dig deeper to find out.

After the death of her 1st husband the children's mother remarried a widower named John Fletcher. 11 April 1826 in Southwold Township., Middlesex County,

RECORD: Canada John Fletcher of Southwold, yeoman and Mary Glover, of the same place, widow, were this day married by me, by banns, Witnesses - John Dougherty, Charles Fuller, Thomas Dickison.

That same day the children Mary Ellen Glover and William Augusta Glover were also baptized bt Rev, Thomas Dickison.

RECORD: Baptisms - St. Thomas, 11th April 1826 - William Augustus and Mary Ellen, children of the late William Hambly Glover, of Dundas Street, and Mary his wife (now wife of John Fleteher of Southwold) were this day baptised by me, by public baptism, John Fletcher, Mary Fletcher, Sponsors.

The children's mother Mary Ellen fell ill and was attended by Rhoda Tyrell and her husband until her death. At which time William Augusta Glover remained with his step-father John Fletcher and wee Mary Ellen was adopted by Rhoda Tyrell and her husband Doctor Duncombe.

RECORD: Marriage: Mary Ellen Glover married Thomas Alexander Marr on the 14th of September 1845 by banns



RESOURCES REGARDING ADOPTION ALTHOUGH NO LEGAL DOCUMENTATION HAS BEEN FOUND TO DATE: / NOTES FROM CHERYL GAWNE
Rhoda Tyrell and her 2st husband Samuel Guernsey adopted a young girl when she was about 5 years old after both of Mary Ellen's natural parents had died.

Rhoda Tyrell had attended to the Mary Ellen's mother, Mary Glover Fletcher, before she passed away. The little girl, Mary Ellen Glover,II daughter of William Hambly or Hamblin Glover and Mary Ellen I //// of Ancaster, Ontario. The little girl Mary Ellen II 's mother Mary Ellen I UNKNOWN later married John Fletcher of Southwold Twp., Elgin County. Mary Ellen II Glover's brother, William A. Glover, was raised by his step father, John Fletcher, and Mary Ellen was raised by the Guernseys. Mary Ellen Glover married Thomas A. Marr. Mary E. Marr is mentioned in Rhoda Tyrrell's Will. "

Iona Cemetery, located Iona and Talbot Line Rd, Southwold, Elgin, Ontario, Canada Headstones arranged in a back corner of cemetery. 33488 Talbot Line (This is where the Guernsey family is interred)

WILL OF RHODA TYRELL
"The Last Will and Testament made by Mrs. Rhoda Guernsey, "I give to my oldest son Charles Duncombe one black silk shawl. I give to Elijah Ely Duncombe, one black silk handkerchief. I give to David Duncombe two silk handkerchiefs. I give to Chars D. Shenick my watch for him to keep as long as he lives, at his death, to be given to his oldest daughter to keep. Before I ever see Charles D. Shenick, the Lord gave him to me for my own, and my name was to be stamped upon him. I give to John Collier Guernsey (grandson of Samuel Guernsey and son of James Guernsey and his wife, Margaret) that bed and bedstead that I left to Hulda, one pair of cotton sheets, one pair of pillow cases, one dark striped bed quilt, and an oldish bed quilt, Huldah must not give these to John until after he is married, but keep them until he is married. I give to Henry the little boy she is bringing up that bed and pillow that I lent him, for his own. I give Hulda my deep blue silk dress. I give Rhoda E. Hamilton my black silk dress and that dark brownish silk dress. Of my calico dresses, Rhoda E. Hamilton must pick out the one she likes best, then Hulda the one she likes best, and then Mary E. Marr (adopted daughter) the one she likes best, and so on until the calicoes are divided. Of my woolen dresses find and coarse Hulda must pick out the one she likes best first then next Rhoda E. must pick one she likes best - Mary one next, then Huldah the one she likes best, then R.E. H., then Mary and so on, as they did the calicoes. The feather bed that was father Duncombe Rhoda E. Hamilton must have with the bedstead and straw tick, and two pillows - the bed I sleep on must be Huldahs, with the straw and bedstead and two pillows. John C. Guernsey, give two pillows Rhoda E.H. I give the first pick of cotton sheets - Huldah the next - Mary E. Marr the next so on until they are divided amongst them - the white flannel sheets - Hulda to pick first, then Rhoda, then Mary and so on - the checked blankets one for Rhoda M. Hamilton - one for John C.G. - the rest divide between Hulda and Rhoda - the pillow cases I give to be divided between Huldah, Rhoda E., Mary, and Rhoda Mary Hamilton equally. My table cloths I give to Hulda and Rhoda equally alike, my towels I give to be divided between Huldah, Rhoda E. and Rhoda Mary Hamilton. I give my bed quilts to be divided between Hulda and Rhoda E. H. equally. All my shawls to be divided between Huldah and Rhoda E. Hamilton. My shifts both linen cotton and woolen to be divided between Huldah and Rhoda E., my petticoats to be divided between Huldah and Rhoda, after giving Rhoda M. Sexton her choice - all the rest of my clothes to be divided between by two daughters. My kettles that is at Huldahs I give to her - my apider to Eugenia Braman - all the kettles that I have beside I give to Rhoda E. Hamilton, but my smallest brass kettle to Rhoda Sexton. (Rhoda Sexton is Huldah Shenick's daughter.) My oldest china cups and saucers I give to Rhoda E. Hamilton, the white ones to Huldah, Rhoda E. Hamilton and Mary Marr equally - my green chest I give to Huldah, my yellow chest I give to Rhoda E. Hamilton, my old blue chest to Rhoda M. Hamilton and my large table to her, - Huldah must have the other table. Rhoda Sexton I give my stand too my chairs to be divided between Huldah S. and Rhoda E. and Mary E. Marr equally the trunk is Rhoda E. Hamilton the great chair is Nancy Rhodays now my sugar box I give to my namesake Rhoda Marr. January 13th 1853 in presence of Rhoda Guernsey, John Tufford, John Wegg"

No comments:

Post a Comment