Glover Genealogy

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Accessing Medical Records in Ontario

Recently I wanted to get medical records for a deceased family member who had been admitted to "The Orillia Hospital for the Feeble Minded"(now Huronia Centre) for uncontrollable epileptic seizures over a period of 20 years. The only information I had was his cause of death (exhaustion) the institution name and his death date as listed on the death certificate. I had no idea how to acquire any information for the last 20 years of his life he had spent hospitalized so I contacted the Archivist at the Ontario Archives and was the process was quite simple but firt  I needed the Case File #. I already had his name, institution name and date of birth / death which simplified in searching out this Case File #. I would say that the whole process took about one hour armed with the information need.

Since his TIME OF DEATH was over 30 years there was "no charge"in acquiring his medical file so I made a wee donation to our Archives. Once I had the Case File # I have to request this file IN WRITING including: Case / File #, patient's name, Institution Nate, date of birth and death date along with my return address. I was told that it would take about 30 days to receive a copy of his medical files. As promised I received the file UPS delivery about 1 month after I had mailed everything off.

When I opened the package I expected ONLY medical information BUT was pleasantly surprised to receive over 20 years of correspondence between him, his mother (in her own hand writing) and his doctor. History unfolded and I got a "window" into the lives and relationship of his mother, family and my relatives. Stories about Christmas cake, and christmas packages, the passing of his cousin's husband accidently and the death of a grand child. Also included were the telegram sent telling of his passing and the note from his mother to the doctor/institution requesting his death shroud and arrangements to bring him home for internment . What a wonderful but also sad gift I received that day. 

Here is a general overview of the Medical - Psychiatric Records at the Archives of Ontario. These records are available under FIPPA legislation (Freedom of Information and Policy Protection of Privacy) Act.

Again, you cannot request medical records without a case file number.

Psychiatric Hospitals Patient records may include case files, admission registers and discharge registers. You can search the Archives Descriptive Database by the name of the hospital (or the term “psychiatric” and the name of the town in the keyword field). Select the “Search Records creator” option for information and lists of records series for each hospital



The following series are not described online. Please speak with a reference staff about finding and using these records. 
Contact information for the Ontario Archivist is 
Telephone: 416-327-1600 Toll free (Ontario): 1-800-668-9933 
Fax: 416-327-1999
Address: Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd., Toronto, ON M7A 2C.

Again, access to these records is governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Currently, the Ministry of Community and Social Services will work with former residents and their families or appointed guardians to complete a brief form which will ensure the confidential information in their resident file is properly forwarded. This is where I simply wrote a request to access the file, gave the name, institution name, DOB  and case file # and MY RETURN ADDRESS

To request access to your case file, former residents can contact: 
Cate Parker 
Freedom of Information and Privacy and Protection Co-ordinator 
Ministry of Community and Social Services 
P.O. Box 978 77 Wellesley St. West 
Toronto, ON
M7A 1N3
Phone: 416-327-6101 Email: cate.parker@ontario.ca











No comments:

Post a Comment