Glover Genealogy

Monday, July 16, 2018

Saints and Savages - Samuel Robinson - Van Diemen's Land

Samuel Robinson Born abt. 1812, Town Hill, London, England

(Dec 26, 1855 married Ann Gatherer, Campbellstown, Tasmania, Australia) 
CHARGED:
On June 9, 1830 Apprentice SAMUEL ROBINSON was indicted for stealing 1 half-crown, and 3 shillings, from his Master Thomas Hall.

TRANSCIPTION OF TRIAL July 8, 1830 
Brought before the courts and tried at Old Bailey Court, England for stealing from Master

THOMAS HALL . I am a butcher , and live at No. 80, Tower-street . The prisoner was my apprentice - I had missed money repeatedly; and on the 8th of June I put 4s. worth of halfpence into the desk - I missed some of them; I then determined to place some silver there to detect him - I had before that found in his pocket a key, which opened my desk, and I took it away; I marked 30s. in half-crowns, shillings, and sixpences, and put them into the desk; early the next morning I got the officer into the parlour, which commands a view of the desk - I rang the bell for my apprentices to come down; the prisoner ran down first, without his shoes; he went to the desk and opened it with another key - when he came from the desk I said to the officer, "Open the door and take him;" he did so, and found one half-crown, a crown, and 3s. in his hand, and this key in his pocket - it was all marked, and was missing from the desk.



VERDICT: Gulity
PUNISHMENT / SENTENCING
14 years on Van Diemen's Land, Tasmania, Australia

Samuel Robinson departed on 4 Sept 1832 from London on the Convict Vessel: Argyle - (aka Mary) under , Captain Daniels 21st Regt., (although some documents indicate "Mary" Vessel - dates are correct - name change of vessel?)

Physically described as 64 inches tall at time of conviction
Religion: Protestant
MARRIAGE: Ann Gatherer 26 Dec. 1855 in Campbell Town Tasmania, Austraila 

No comments:

Post a Comment